Sunday, September 19, 2010
Non Negotiable Guidelines proposed by South Asia Network on Women’s Rights in Disasters
1. Recognition: Officials of both state and non state agencies working with disaster affected must recognize and address gender specific and special needs of women.
2. Health: Health concerns of pregnant and lactating women must be addressed.
3. Protection: Protection of women and girls from gender based violence and abuse in all camps and relocated communities must be ensured.
4. Security: Care givers must be given protection and all available assistance by the authorities.
5. Decision Making: Governments must involve women in consultative and decision making processes.
6. Inclusion: Special attention must be paid to marginalized groups of women
7. Anti-discriminatory practices: Governments must ensure that disaster affected receive assistance without discrimination.
8. Rebuilding: Facilitate rebuilding and capacity building of women’s organizations.
9. Livelihood Restoration: Facilitate immediate restoration of livelihoods for employment generation.
10. Adherence to International Standards: Ensure women have equal rights to adequate housing and land, and relocation efforts in consistent with international human rights standards.